|Have Fun with Numbers 2|
Have Fun with Numbers 2 is a VHS from the Learn with Sooty range.
Sooty, Sweep and Soo are going back to school the following week and Matthew has to buy two plastic folders, three biros, four pencils, five notebooks and ten coloured felt tip pens each for them. In order to work out how many of each item Matthew will have to buy, they have to use multiplication. But before they use multiplication, they have got to understand their numbers very well between 1 and 20, in other words they have got to be able to add and subtract.
Luckily, Sooty, Sweep and Soo can add and subtract; Soo is adding more dresses to the selection she is giving to the local jumble sale the following day and Sweep is subtracting from the selection of bones he is giving to the jumble sale. To make doubly sure they can add and subtract, Matthew sets Sooty, Sweep and Soo one more test with models of themselves.
Having learnt enough about addition and subtraction, the gang go on to multiplication and times tables with coloured cubes, coloured beads and multiplication sums on a black board. They also do practically multiplications with the children of Frogmore County Infant School in their playground.
With the help of everything they learnt that day, Sooty, Sweep and Soo help Matthew with the multiplications he made at the beginning of the programme.
- The Two Times Table Isn’t Hard to Say
- The Three Times Table Isn’t Hard to Say
- The Four Times Table Isn’t Hard to Say
- The Five Times Table Isn’t Hard to Say
- The Ten Times Table Isn’t Hard to Say
- This release was originally going to be called “Multiplication”
- When they are at the blackboard, Matthew puts a tick by all the complete sums except for 6 x 2 = 12 and 4 x 3= 12.
- You can tell the title sequences was reused from Be Safe..., because as it ends, you can hear Matthew tutting from when he was reading about the Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents.
- For some reason, Sweep is not heard counting the 2nd to 5th set ring when they first set up the coloured cubes.
- In the playground, when Matthew moves from one child to another, you can see the end of Sooty’s puppet on his hand. Sometimes also when Sooty and Matthew stop on either side of a child, you can see Matthew’s sleeve leading alway from Sooty.
- It is not that difficult to work out what 10x4, 3x5 and 8x10 are.
- When they first sing The Two Times Table Isn’t Hard to Say, the number 2 does not appear at the bottom of the screen.